30 June 2016

Author Q&A Session #81: With Scott Stambach


Hello My Fellow Bookworms,

Hope you're having a lovely day, although I'm having a hectic day, packed with project deadlines and rehearsal for our upcoming Company's Annual Day. Anyhow, I've managed to gather and find some time to do this author Q&A session.

So without wasting a moment, let's welcome our author of the day on our blog.

Ladies and Gentlemen, put your hands and hearts filled with good cheers up for Scott Stambach, the debut author, who has penned an incredibly heart touching young adult story in his upcoming book, The Invisible Life of Ivan Isaenko. He is here to discuss about this new book, his career, his life, and anything beyond bookish.

Keep reading...


Read the review of The Invisible Life of Ivan Isaenko



Me: Hello and welcome to my blog, Scott. Congratulations on your new and upcoming book, The Invisible Life of Ivan Isaenko. How will you express your feelings about your debut book that has already won the hearts of so many early readers?
 
Scott: Ultimately, I’m just incredibly grateful. Getting published in and of itself is an honor. But getting published by the fantastic team at St. Martins who have thrown all their love and support behind this book, and then to have it connecting with readers they way it has is so moving and powerful. It’s the sort of thing that never fully feels real.


Me: How did you research for your book? Can you tell us briefly about it?
 
Scott: I was about 6 years old when Chernobyl happened. At the time I hardly understood what was going on, but I remember being fascinated by it. It was so tragic and terrifying but also strangely magical, because I was learning about this invisible thing called radiation that could hide inside of people and change their genes and cause mutations. This inspired me to explore legacy of the explosion throughout my life. Then one day, I saw a documentary called Chernobyl Heart, which brought to light these hospitals in Northern Ukraine and Southern Belarus that treat alleged victims. I was haunted by the fact that these hospitals were filled with children with very human hopes and dreams and voices, but no way to express them. So I started to play around with the idea what it would be like to give one of these kids a voice. Eventually I had enough confidence with the idea to start to put it down on paper, and thus Ivan was born.


Me: Tell us one trait about your main character, Ivan, that intrigues you the most.
 
Scott: He is so beautifully complex. On one level he is acerbic and crass, and on another he is so beautifully vulnerable and lovable. In other words, Ivan is an incredibly human character.


Me: How will you describe your journey so far as an author?
 
Scott: It’s just beginning! I’ll let you know next time we talk!


Me: Was it always your one true dream to be an author?
 
Scott: Actually, it was always my one true dream to be a rock star. I played guitar in a few bands in high school and college. But as with most childhood dreams, you slowly let go of them the older you get. Then when I was about 26 I read Mark Danielewski’s House of Leaves. I found it to be the most creative, mind-blowing, and inspiring novel I’d ever read. When I finished, I said to myself, “I want to be a part of this.” It was at that point that my dreams abruptly changed.


Me: What other passions do you have apart from writing?
 
Scott: I teach physics and astronomy in San Diego which is basically the most wonderful job in the world. Beyond that I write and play music, surf, and travel as much as I can. I also work with Science for Monks, which means I get to make it to India (Bylakuppe) from time to time. I’ve been a huge fan of India and Indian culture since I did a study abroad in Gujarat in college.


Me: What's next up on your writing sleeves? Please tell us briefly about it.
 
Scott: I just finished the first draft of my second novel about a Hotel in Rio that contains all of time. Very different from Ivan, but hopefully just as powerful and full of heart.


Me: Thanks Scott for joining me today on this interview session. I wish you luck for all your future endeavors.
 
Scott: Thank you, Aditi, for all you do to support writers.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott's Bio:


Scott Stambach lives in San Diego where he teaches physics and astronomy at Grossmont and Mesa colleges. He also collaborates with Science for Monks, a group of educators and monastics working to establish science programs in Tibetan Monasteries throughout India. He has written about his experiences working with monks of Sera Jey monastery and has published short fiction in several literary journals including Ecclectica, Stirring, and Convergence.







Connect with Scott on: WebsiteGoodreadsFacebookTwitter

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!