22 June 2015

Review #253: The Heir (The Selection #4) by Kiera Cass



My rating: 4 of 5 stars



“There are some things you don't learn about yourself until you let someone else into the most intimate places of your heart.”

----Kiera Cass



Kiera Cass, the best-selling author of The Selection series pens her fourth book in this enchanting dystopian series, The Heir that traces the love story of Prince Maxon and America's daughter, Eadlyn, who too follows the same path like her father's to find a suitable husband for herself.





Synopsis:

Princess Eadlyn has grown up hearing endless stories about how her mother and father met. Twenty years ago, America Singer entered the Selection and won the heart of Prince Maxon—and they lived happily ever after. Eadlyn has always found their fairy-tale story romantic, but she has no interest in trying to repeat it. If it were up to her, she'd put off marriage for as long as possible.

But a princess's life is never entirely her own, and Eadlyn can't escape her very own Selection—no matter how fervently she protests.

Eadlyn doesn't expect her story to end in romance. But as the competition begins, one entry may just capture Eadlyn's heart, showing her all the possibilities that lie in front of her . . . and proving that finding her own happily ever after isn't as impossible as she's always thought.



PS: Although, I never read the reviews before hand or ever feel bad by the ratings of a book, even though I loved the book, but today and especially for this book, I would kindly request all reviewers to judge the book by it's technical aspects like writing style or narrative or prose or pace, but not by it's characterization, if you didn't like a character, do not show your anger on the author, since it might be Cass' intention to not to make her main character an easy one to fall for easily, moreover I agree with some reviewers who believe that Cass is one of the bravest authors in the YA lit world.



I also never thought the author would take yet another chance with The Selection series, since, in the end, America managed to imprint herself upon my mind, and in The Heir, America's story is now overshadowed by her daughter, Eadlyn. After Maxon and America got married like a fairytale with lots of bliss and glitters, they gave birth to a twin boy and a girl, but Eadlyn happens to be the one who will be the first queen of Illea and she is prepared and trained for that purpose rigorously, but we are not sure whether Eadlyn will be a queen right at the end of the book, instead, the storyline of the book remains centered around Eadlyn and her spoilt ways of living her life inside the palace. There she and her parents once again hold that same old tradition to choose a suitable groom for their princess although like we know from the previous books that the caste system has been destroyed, yet still anybody can take part in the male version of The Selection.

I must say, hats off to the author for carefully choosing her dynamic and distinct characters unlike the last time. At least, I got something to hate for in this book, unlike previous books where I couldn't even relate or felt very bored because of the character's demeanor.

The writing quality of the author has transformed and it seems like Cass has more grip to her story and knows what she wants out of it, like a proper direction. The prose is really articulate enough to keep me hooked on to the story till the very last page and Eadlyn's impulsive and spoilt-brat nature was really fun to read about. To be fair, I could also not connect with Eadlyn's lifestyle, but I certainly liked her a lot and the way she transformed and developed through the pages of the book is something really wonderful to read about.

The narrative style is evocative and free-flowing and the occurrence of events unrolled like a movie right in front of my eyes, so yeah the story-building is really great, and has enough elements to mystery, scandals and conspiracy to engage me. There is a lot of chemistry between Eadlyn and various suitors, whose features, the author have carefully portrayed through the story, thus making me drool over some men (literally!)

Overall, this is a compelling as well as an emotional book where yet another story leave us unraveled with it's charm and grace. Go ahead and give this book a chance, if you have read the previous three books in The Selection series.



Once again, the cover of the book took my breath away for while till I regained my composure, in one word, simply magnificent!

Verdict: YA and Cass fans definitely read this book which I think is much better than The Elite. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Author Info:
I am a graduate of Radford University with a B.S. in History. I grew up in South Carolina and currently live in Christiansburg, Virginia with my electrical engineer hubby, car-obsessed son, and princess-loving daughter. I'm a #1 New York Times bestseller, woohoo! I'm also a valued customer at my local cupcake shop.

Things I hate:

When people fail to use turn signals, flying, salads.

Things I love:

Office supplies, boy bands, desserts.
Visit her here


Book Purchase Links:

5 comments:

  1. I really want to sit down and start this series. I already have the first three books. I just need to read them. Great review, I'm intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, this cover is lovely <3 I am glad you were able to enjoy this one a l and see that the series is always just getting that bit better :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome review. I really did not like this series so much. The first and second book were good, though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very informative Blog i am Your regular visitor and blogger my self here is a link to my blog. Hope you like reading it.
    How to Earn Money from Instagram

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your feedback!