24 May 2015

Author Q&A Session #42: With Lawrence Verigin



Good morning everyone,
It's time for an author Q&A session and to day we have the author who have penned an intriguing ecological thriller that ponders on the darker side of genetically engineered crops, that's right, let's welcome, Lawrence Verigin and interview him about his life as an author, about his book, Dark Seed and life beyond books. So folks, scroll below to read the interview.

Read the review of Dark Seed






Me: Hello and welcome to my blog, Lawrence. Congratulations on your book, Dark Seed. Can you please share with us the back story behind your book, Dark Seed?

Lawrence:
Thank you for inviting me for an interview, Aditi. The idea for Dark Seed first came about 15 years ago. I was visiting my father, who enjoyed organic farming as a hobby. He told me about hearing that some scientists were injecting a fish gene into tomato’s. He thought that was crazy and wrong. I was looking for an idea for my first book and decided that genetic engineering was worth looking into. Back then there was not a lot of information on GMO’s, but I did find negative results that the mainstream media had never reported on. Also, the companies that were doing the genetic engineering were known for their questionable and unscrupulous business practices, so they would make perfect villains.


Me: How did you come up with the title of this book? Does it have any significance?

Lawrence:
I wanted to have something short, descriptive and ominous to go with Seed.


Me: What was your inspiration behind this book?

Lawrence:
My goal is to take socially relevant topics and bring awareness to them through a story – genetic engineering was a perfect topic.


Me: How did you research for your book? And do you support GM crops and other commodities?

Lawrence:
I didn’t know anything about GMO’s when I first started researching for the book and I am not a scientist. However, after considerable and continuing research (I am currently writing the sequel to Dark Seed, so I am still reading studies and information on the subject) I have my own opinion. I am against GM crops and think it is awful what they are doing to people, animals and the planet.


Me: Tell us one trait of your protagonist, Nick, that intrigues you the most?

Lawrence:
I liked how Nick was able to grow stronger through the story and didn’t give up, because he believed in what he was doing.


Me: Was it always your one true dream to be a writer? And how will you describe your journey so far as an author?

Lawrence:
When I started writing Dark Seed my goal was to write one book in my life. As I went along I discovered that I really enjoyed the process and wanted to learn how to write well. Now I know I will be writing for the rest of my life.


Me: What other passions do you have apart from writing books?

Lawrence:
As I’ve gotten older, I’ve narrowed done my interests to a few main passions. Other than writing, they are golf, cooking good food, drinking rich red wine and travel. My wife especially enjoys the fact that I really enjoy cooking.


Me: How will you describe your normal writing day? And what do you do to get away from the stress of a long day's work?

Lawrence:
I wake up every morning at 5:30am to write for a few hours before I have to go to work as a marketing consultant. On weekends I spend more time in the mornings writing. Eventually I hope to be writing full time and then I will give you a different answer.  The stresses of the day are relieved by the golf, food and wine...more wine if the day was really stressful.


Me: What's next up in your writing sleeves? Please tell us briefly about it?

Lawrence:
I am currently writing Seed of Control, which is the sequel to Dark Seed. It is scheduled to come out in the fall of 2016. After that I plan on writing a thriller about Fracking.


Me: Thanks so much for joining me today in this interview session. I wish you luck for all your future endeavors.

Lawrence:
Thank you so much, Aditi. It was my pleasure and I hope you review and interview me for my future books, as well. Best of luck to you too.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



Lawrence's Bio:


Lawrence Verigin’s goal is to entertain readers while delving into socially relevant subjects that need more attention brought to them.

Since 1999 Lawrence has spent a considerable amount of time and effort learning the writing craft.

In his spare time Lawrence enjoys cooking good food, rich red wine, travel, running, reading and numerous rounds of golf.

Lawrence and his wife, Diana, live in beautiful North Vancouver, Canada.










Connect with Lawrence on: WebsiteTwitterGoodreadsFacebook

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!