3 May 2015

Author Q&A Session #42: With Jessica Topper



Good afternoon and good evening peeps,

After a long time, it's time for some author chat, and today we have the contemporary romance writer, Jessica Topper, who is here to talk about her latest book, Dictatorship of the Dress and her other books, her journey as an author and life beyond books and writing. So let's chat with her to know about this incredible author.

Read the review of Dictatorship of the Dress


   

Me: Hello and welcome to my blog, Jessica. Congratulations on your new book, Dictatorship of the Dress. Please briefly share with us the story behind your book, Dictatorship of the Dress?

Jessica: Thanks for having me!  Dictatorship of the Dress is a quirky, romantic comedy-of-errors story about a woman trying to deliver her mother’s wedding dress cross-country, despite many physical (and emotional) obstacles.


Me: What inspired you write this book, Dictatorship of the Dress?

Jessica: Another writer friend and I were chatting online one day, and she was telling me about her own daughter being fussed over and given extra attention on board an airplane, all because she was carrying her friend’s bridal garment bag. As writers, we tend to always think in terms of “what if?” so my brain started thinking: “What if I write about a girl being mistaken for a bride?” and “What if the guy next to her on the plane is assumed to be the groom” and then “What if they get stranded during a snowstorm and have to keep up the farce?” – and the idea just snowballed (pardon the pun!) from there.


Me: How did you research for the purpose of this book, Dictatorship of the Dress?

Jessica:
I’m a former librarian by profession, so research is always an essential part of my writing. I had to familiarize myself with the layout of Chicago, IL – a city I had only visited once, in summer! I also studied up on flight times, layovers, and technical details when it came to airlines and flying. My cousin is a flight attendant, so I ran many questions by her. But probably the most amount of research stemmed from my heroine’s and my hero’s job professions. Laney is a comic book illustrator, and Noah is an app designer, so I wanted to make sure I captured those details as authentically as possible.


Me: Was the story based on your personal experience?

Jessica:
No – luckily I have never been stranded while traveling! But if I ever were, it might be nice to go on an adventure with a handsome stranger. J I also have a very sweet mother, not like Laney’s overbearing, critical mother!


Me: How will you describe your journey so far as an author?

Jessica:
I still feel like a bit of a tourist on this journey!  It’s been a whirlwind, exciting, and sometimes scary adventure. I’m trying to take it slow and enjoy the trip, but deadlines and promotion often don’t let you linger with your head in the clouds for too long. But like with any good journey, I’m always looking forward to the next destination…and starting the next book!


Me: Was it always your one true dream to be an author?

Jessica:
I’ve always loved to write. And when I worked as a librarian, I imagined holding my own book in my hand one day, corny as that sounds. So yes. It pretty much was my one dream, come true!


Me: Tell us one trait of Noah and Laney, that intrigues you the most?

Jessica:
Laney’s ability to sketch her memories and feelings on paper. I have never been artistic, so that makes me envious! And I love Noah’s quirky mathematical mind. The fact that he knows how many sides are on a Magic Eight Ball fortune-telling toy, and how many times you’d have to turn it to get it to show every answer was a fun trait to give him. He’s nerdy and a little bit of a geek, but sweet and sexy, too.


Me: How will you describe your normal writing day? And how do you get away from the stress of a long day's work?

Jessica:
I am not very disciplined and haven’t settled into my “normal” yet. J There are some days when I don’t even write at all. A good writing session for me is nailing a certain scene or a few chapters perfectly, just the way I envisioned them. I tend to write slowly, polishing as I go. Writing usually relaxes me, but it can get stressful when I am under deadline. If I can get out in nice weather and walk, do yoga, or grab an ice cream with my daughter, it’s a good way to unwind.


Me: What is next up on your writing sleeves? Please tell us briefly about it.


Jessica:
The second book in this series, COURTSHIP OF THE CAKE, releases June 2nd. It features Dani, Laney’s best friend, as the protagonist. After that, I have a novella releasing in August and a full-length novel in September that both follow up my rock and roll romantic e-book debut, Louder Than Love. It’s been a busy year!


Me: Thank you so much Jessica for joining me today on the interview. I wish you all the best for all your future endeavors.

Jessica:
My pleasure! Thanks for your interest and for hosting me today. I enjoyed answering all of your questions and I hope your readers enjoy them, too!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------





Jessica's Bio:


Jessica Topper is an ex-librarian turned rock n' roll number cruncher. She can trace her love for the written word back to age three, when she memorized Maurice Sendak's "Chicken Soup with Rice" in its entirety.

After her daughter was born, Jessica left the Manhattan library world and began working for her husband's music management company. He offered her a part-time bookkeeping job so she could "stay home for the baby's first year" and pursue her dream of writing.

The baby is now thirteen, and Jessica has been working her full-time, sold-her-soul-for-rock-n-roll job as Office Manager for veteran jam band moe. ever since. She may have traded in books for bookkeeping, but the written word is never far from her mind, or her heart.

Jessica lives in upstate New York with her husband, daughter and one ancient cat.




Connect with Jessica on:  WebsiteTwitterGoodreadsFacebook

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!