18 October 2014

Never Judge a Book By it's Movie!

Haven't we heard this thing over and over again? And in reply, we say: "Who says we are judging the book by it's movie, all we are saying that the book looks good in the big screen!" :-P On a very lazy Sunday morning, who doesn't like to curl up with a paperback novel and in the afternoon to lay down in front of your laptop, watching the latest movie in town. And you feel over-the-moon, when you first hear that your favorite novel is going to be adapted in a movie.

I love watching movies, and I'll admit that I re-read the novel before the movie comes out, since I know some way or the other, the actors may not be able to convey the whole story with right amount of emotions or be able to portray the protagonists with enough empathy as per the book- and that's the hard-core truth! They literally can't..

This whole new trend is changing the fate of a book in respect to its popularity among its readers. What pains me the most, when people say stuffs like,
"A: Harry Potter movie is so awesome- so enchanting! 
B: Have you read the book yet?
A: Who reads the books! Watching the movie is similar to reading what's in the book.."

And people like "A" like to call themselves a die-hard Harry Potter fan! And I like to call them "Ignorant!" End of story!

  But right now, I'd like to highlight the differences between a book and its movie adaption:

  • Ooh! I liked Shailene Woodley's character, I really feel like her!


Seriously! Unfortunately, people like these can't even remember what was Shailene Woodley's character's name. Hazel and Beatrice- RIP! When I read The Fault in Our Stars and Divergent series, I got to know Hazel and Beatrice so personally that I can literally transform myself like them. I got to know about their personal choices, like which brand of perfume she liked to wear and which were the guys she found the cutest in Dauntless, etc, and honestly these details are never ever incorporated in the movie. And there's no point in getting connected with these characters, without knowing about what they like and what they don't like. So that's one reason why you should probably place an order of the paperback copy of The Fault in Our Stars and the Divergent series.

  • Gosh, I could almost feel my heart beating when Four looked at her like that!


Well for this point- which I call "Touched me Emotionally!" , I'd like to relate this with the book called Fifty Shades of Grey. Before that I'd like to congratulate the author, E.L.James for her hard work and for creating a whole new revolution of BDSM. Since it's not an adult blog, I'd rather not involve myself in the glory details of BDSM. While I was reading Fifty Shades, I could hear my heart beating faster and louder, I mean literally, if my pulse rate was checked at that time, people around me would have freaked out! Then when I eventually got comfortable with the book, I literally felt myself turned on page-after-page. But honestly, and I can almost swear that the movie can never turn me on and so as Four's way of looking can never make your heartbeat go faster. That's what you get when you read the book- the naked, raw emotions which not only touch you emotionally but will also let you know the main character so deeply. The emotions when written down in a piece of paper, bares your soul to its reader, but when you try to express it with your mouth, they simply loses it's core meaning and it's ability to make the reader feel the same. My suggestion would be- go ahead and pick the paper back copy of Fifty Shades of Grey from your local bookstore before it hits the screen.
  • I've never been to Amsterdam. Thanks to the movie The Fault in Our Stars, I got a slice of Amsterdam! 


 Meaning which you have already started packing your bags and calling all the travel agents in town to plan your Fall Trip to Amsterdam. No I'm not saying anything, but all I can say is that a movie has the ability to increase the tourism of a particular state or country or even continent.
You and I will both agree that books can take you places without even actually setting foot in a particular place. And so I don't need to explain the whys and hows of a book's ability to tele-port you to a particular time and destination. Honestly, The Great Gatsby movie was a total crap, but if you have read F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, then you could have tele-ported yourself back to the eighties when flapper dresses and funky head gears were so in. When I read the book, I literally felt glitter on my skin and felt very drunk on Gatsby's lavish parties, and also I felt like there was a second person living with Nick Carraway's little cottage in the West Egg of New York and my friends, that second person happen to be me. So again my suggestion would be to pick up the paperback copy of The Great Gatsby which will not only take you many exotic places but will also take you back in time.

Gosh! I feel like I can go on forever! See the point is books have that ability to revisit some old memories and let you have some new memories, and clearly the movies can't give you that! Books make you feel very deeply and also after you've read the book, then you can honestly and very strikingly judge the movie from the book and thus you are qualified to give a rating to the movie as well as to the book!



This week I'd suggest all you guys to order the paperback copy of The Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn from any online retailer or can pick up from your local store, before The Gone Girl hits the screen this week in India, which stars Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike and our very-favorite, Neil Patrick Harris.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your feedback!